Homemade Laundry Detergent

Monday, February 6, 2012 1:01 PM Posted by Lovely Fluffy Mama
My go-to laundry detergent is Amway's Legacy of Clean SA8 Concentrated Detergent. It really is the best and super concentrated so it lasts for a long time. But, there have been times when I was in a bind and was completely out of laundry soap, and this recipe for Homemade Laundry Detergent turned out to be wonderful. I love it so much that I currently use it when washing my son's cloth diapers. And for those times when I am out of the Legacy of Clean SA8, I most certainly use it for laundering our clothes and linens. It also is concentrated so very little goes a long way.

Very simple recipe. All you need is Borax, Washing Soda (not baking soda), and a bar of soap.
  • 1 Cup Borax
  • 1 Cup Washing Soda
  • 1 Bar Soap (grated)
*As an option, you can also add 1/2 cup of OxiClean (or I like to use Legacy of Clean's Trizyme Concentrated Detergent Booster) to this recipe. I usually leave it out, but if you feel the need to add it, go for it!


If you aren't comfortable using Borax, there are tons of recipes on the internet that don't use it. I don't have a problem using it, so I do :) 

Also, don't get too hung up on the soap. I like Kirk's Castile, but I have used Ivory, Fels Naptha, Dr. Bronners, etc. Heck, I have even used Dial bar soap with no issues. So, whatever soap makes you feel comfortable and that doesn't irritate your skin, go with that one.

I usually double this recipe, but you can start with the basic 1-1-1 ratio (or you could even half that) to test it out and make sure you like it before making a decent sized batch.

In a large bowl, combine the Borax, Washing Soda and grated bar of soap (you can just use a basic cheese grater for the soap).
Give it all a really good stir, making sure everything is completely combined.
That's it! You can stop at this point and store in your favorite container.

BUT, since I am a little OCD at times, I like the detergent to be completely integrated and powdery. So, if you have a food processor (mine is just a mini and works great), add the detergent to the food processor and pulse until smooth, fluffy, and powdery.

And NOW you can store in your favorite container :)

You don't need much of this detergent to get the job done. Use 1 or 2 Tablespoons (maximum), depending on the size of the load. 

Easy Peasy!

~Lovely Fluffy Mama