Recently, I came across the Modern Parents Messy Kids 6 Week Meal Plan, and decided to give it a try. She has made it so easy! All the meals are already planned out with grocery lists and links to the recipes for directions on cooking them! I am not following the plan exactly day by day, but I am planning my dinners according to the recipes found in each week. I pull about 5 or 6 recipes from the week and decide which day that each meal will work best for my schedule and family. Tonight, I decided to make the Cheeseless Pasta Bake.
Very simple and not a lot of ingredients to deal with which is exactly what I was looking for! I made the pasta sauce ahead of time and stored in a glass jar in the refrigerator until ready to use. Or you can use your favorite store bought sauce. As I was making this, I realized the original recipe only yielded 3 servings, so I doubled the recipe to suit my family's size and appetite :)
Cheeseless Pasta Bake
Adapted from Healthy Tipping Point.
Ingredients: (this is my version that has been doubled)
- 4 cups cooked whole wheat pasta (I used rotini pasta, but you can use whatever floats your boat!), boiled per package directions and drained
- 8 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup hummus (I used a white bean hummus)
- 1/2 cup red pepper, chopped thinly
- 20 leaves of fresh basil, chopped (I used 2 tablespoon dried basil instead)
- 2 large handfuls of grape tomatoes, chopped
- pepper to taste
- salt to taste
- Pasta sauce to top
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and grease casserole dish.
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients except for pasta sauce.
- Pour mix into casserole dish and bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes or until egg is firm. (The original recipe calls to cook for 25 mins, but mine was finished in just under 45 mins, rather than doubling the time to 50 mins. You will need to just check so you don't overcook.)
- Remove from oven and drizzle with pasta sauce.
So easy! Enjoy!