Homemade Marinara

Saturday, January 7, 2012 8:54 PM Posted by Lovely Fluffy Mama

This is my "go to" recipe anytime I need a marinara type sauce. I love it on pizza. I love it with bread sticks. I love it with calzones. I love it with pasta. Getting the point? I LOVE IT! I use rough estimates every time I make it, but the basic ingredients are these:

Homemade Marinara
Original recipe from The Pioneer Woman.
  • 1/2 cup (or more) red wine
  • medium onion, diced
  • 2 tablespoons minced garlic
  • large can (28oz i think?) of whole tomatoes
  • large can (again, 28oz?) of crushed tomatoes
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • salt, pepper, and herbs (basil, etc..) to taste


And the directions are as follows:

Using medium heat on the stove...

Into a large pot, pour wine over diced onions and garlic. Then add the cans of tomatoes, both whole and crushed.
 


              Add salt, pepper, and sugar (all to taste, but I usually like to use at least 1/4 cup of sugar).        
 Let it boil. Turn up the heat a bit. For at least a few mins or more, then add your herbs and turn down to just a simmer. I like to simmer for at least 20 or 30 mins to let the tomatoes break down and let all the ingredients infuse into each other, and to allow the sweet, delicious aromas fill my house. Sometimes I simmer for an hour. It's all up to you. Don't forget to stir occasionally. 

That's it! This recipe makes a good amount, so store your leftovers in the fridge for a few days, or freeze it for another time. Hope you all like it as much as I do!



~Lovely Fluffy Mama