To Home School or Not To Home School?

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 5:56 PM Posted by Lovely Fluffy Mama
I never thought that this would even be a consideration. I was never a "kid" person, and I for sure didn't want to be a teacher of any kind. Even after having my 2 kids, I always said "No way! Not a chance!" when asked about homeschooling.

That was until this last year. Now I am having second thoughts. I have really enjoyed being home with Riley and Noah, and being able to "teach" them what I have already - even in my unstructured, and at times, completely chaotic and terrible learning environment of a home. Then on the other hand, for selfish reasons mostly, it seems like it would be really nice to have the kids spend some time in preschool. With other kids. With real teachers. Away from me ;)

Then I have heard of homeschool groups and activities just for homeschoolers so that they can receive the benefits of staying home for school, yet the kids can still be involved with other kids and such. And of course there's always sports, dance, etc they can take part in. I'm just so confused. It seems like there are many options out there, especially depending on what state you live.

I would love some opinions and advice! What are the pros and cons of homeschooling? Is it overwhelming? Did you always want to homeschool or did the idea grow on you eventually? What age were your kids when you started? Any info would be greatly appreciated :)



~Lovely Fluffy Mama